Playing long balls into empty space since 2012.

Tuesday 28 May 2019

100 years ago today 30 May 1919

Toowoomba Chronicle

FOOTBALL.
BRITISH ASSOCIATION.
The fourth general meeting, was held in Herriott's rooms, last night. Mr. W. Lyon was in the chair. Mr. Ryan stated that he was forming the Allies again; thus making six teams for the senior grade premiership. The secretary stated that the Ellena Club (Milton) had wired, stating that they would arrive on Saturday next; arrangements are well in hand for the entertaining of the visitors. The Ellena team are a strong combination, and are brimfull of confidence. Toowoomba has a fully representative team, in the field also, so a sterling game is anticipated.
The following players are chosen -to represent Toowoomba (soccer team):— Goal, Priest; backs, Lyon and Richardson; halves, Fox. W. Wilson, A. Francis; forwards. Cobson, Esier, Beardsworth (captain), W. Brown and Ryan. Extras: Hedgcock, Bowman, M'Nab and Leahy. Referee: Mr. A. E. Hazel. Kick off at 3 p.m. No. 4 pitch, Queen's Park. Linesmen: Private Marsh and W. Brazier.


The Daily News (Perth)

"HOLY MOSES."
"My best soccer story." I had put the request to that popular Southern League referee, Mr. H. Thompson. 'It is against myself,' he said. In one match in which I officiated there was a rare mix-up in the mouth of the goal. 'Holy' Moses, did you see that trip?' an Irish forward shouted at me. I took no notice. After the match he tackled me again, and I told him my name was not 'Holy Moses.' ''Tis right ye are,' came the swift retort; 'an' 'tis as little ye know about football as that same Moses did when he was aslap
e in the bulrushes.'


Lithgow Mercury




Queensland Times






No comments:

Post a Comment